AVMAC LLC is the U.S. Navy’s Recovery Assist, Secure and Traverse (RAST) system Subject Matter Expert. During availability periods, AVMAC provides “turn-key” maintenance for the RAST system including inspections, testing, repairs, and replacement of any/all identified faulty or worn components. Additionally, AVMAC prepares all air capable ships’ aviation systems for AVCERT.
Specific maintenance tasks for the RAST system during availability periods may include:
- Inspection and cleaning of the RAST system components, such as sheaves, bearings, and cables.
- Lubrication of moving parts to ensure smooth operation.
- Replacement of any worn or damaged components, such as the wire ropes or hydraulic hoses.
- Testing of the electrical and hydraulic systems to ensure they are functioning properly.
- Verification of the RAST system’s load capacity and ability to safely handle helicopters and cargo.
Recent RAST Repairs include:
- CG 58: 588-21-001 RAST SHEAVE REPAIR
- CG 60: 588-21-001 RAST TRACK PLATE, SIDE PLATE AND TROUGH; PRESERVE Oversight
- CG 64: 588-21-001 RAST TRACK PLATE, SIDE PLATE AND TROUGH; REPAIR and 588-21-002 RAST SYSTEM; PRESERVE
- DDG 57: 588-21-001 HESS Station Test
- DDG 84: Down sheave axel and shaft fabrication
- DDG 98: 588-21-001 RAST System, RSD Install
- DDG 107: 588-21-002 RAST HYDRAULIC OIL SYSTEM FLUS, TRAVERSE PUMP TEST, PORT AND STBF RSD TEST, RAST RECERTIFICATION
- T-AVB-3 SS Wright: Aviation Facility Assessment
It is recommended that maintenance on the RAST system during availability periods be performed by trained and experienced personnel following the manufacturer’s guidelines and the Navy’s maintenance policies and procedures.